Sunday, July 12, 2015

Walnut, KS to Ash Grove, MO - 97 miles

I really liked KS but it will test your fortitude. Stair-stepping the route put me in either a headwind or crosswind 😓

I New map & new state. 
This is 9 of 12

Time for some Ozark mountain climbing. 
Major saw-tooth elevation profile. 
This reminds me of KS - straight, flat and wind. 

The family owned cafe, Cooky's has been in business since the 40's.

 I got there just as church was letting out so it was mobbed. I found a seat next to Jack & Betty Purinton and their grand children Ryan & Kyle Howell.  Jack has grown up in this town, Golden City and proceeded to fill me in on the lore of the rest. Some priceless stories.  Their specialty are their pies! The fried chicken and ham looked really good as well. I went with brisket, same as Betty. 
Jack insisted on buying me dinner (lunch). I learned in the plain states, supper is the evening meal, not dinner. The kindness and generosity of strangers is so refreshing. 
Jack and Betty have 4 children and more than a dozen grandchildren! Ryan and Kyle are all about baseball. I wish I had more time to chat with them about their interest.  

Go figure a corn field as a back drop for the route 76 sign. 

Here we go again with Katy kindness. After 97 miles and almost matching the temperature, 98 degrees I was done. I pulled into Ash Grove, MO not knowing what to expect. The ACA map said, town park camping. As I get close to a town park I hear children screaming, that's a good thing, it means a town pool. 
As I pulled up a gentleman greeted me and said I suppose you want a hot shower and to sleep in A/C? I was instructed to take a swim, go to the town house at the park for a hot shower and enjoy the A/C for the night. He wouldn't take a dime. Just return the key to town hall in the morning. 

2 comments:

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...