Saturday, July 11, 2015

Eureka - Walnut, KS. 103 miles. Hot

Up and out nice and early. On the road by 6:15. Less wind early in the morning. Put in another 40 into the wind and then my route shifted as did the wind direction. A cross wind is way better than the head wind. Hot today and a long gap of no services. Pulled into Benedict, KS pop. 96. to find the store closed. Called the number in the window and Joe explained today is the seventh day of the week and it's gods day. He said to ride over to the church and he would "set me up". 

Unusual to find a synagogue in a town of 96 in KS. 
Joe was ready for me with 2 cold bottles of cold water and an Ice cream cup. He wouldn't take money so I made a donation to repair the roof. In 2009 he bought the church for $4k. In okay condition except the roof.  

Offered to race, the cowboy declined. Not sure what I've done if he said yes. 

I didn't know KS had armadillos. Lot of these guys don't make it across the street. 

I'm at 103 and I'm cooked. The plan was to ride to Girard, about 12 more miles. I pull over in front of a church to drink some hot water and I notice the sign- bikers welcome. I figured I would check it out. This guy was greeting me as I entered the hall.
 
Then the a/c hit me in the face..... sold. This is home for the night. Fully stocked ref. and pantry and was instructed to help myself to anything I would like. The KS really are some fine folks!  Big hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...