Monday, July 20, 2015

Dansville, KY - Maysville, (Blue Lick Battlefield State Park) 86 miles

Big, big change of plans this morning! After 3400 miles I'm taking off the "training wheels." I've changed my final destination to Guilford, CT. No longer Yorktown, VA. 
Having spent time with Ralph who guided Brian & Britney to unchartered touring successfully completing the Katy trail, I felt it was now my time. I now know why Ralph loves his job as a teacher.... he's very good at it and its effortless. 

I started to look at the mileage and its not that many additional miles to pedal home. 
After just rejoining the brother, sister team, I'm sad to have to part ways so quickly. I do enjoy their company and laughter. 

Lots of freakin out this morning with so little time to plan. No set route, no little icons showing me the way to services..... oh boy. 

First executive decision over pancakes and coffee was to head to the big city of Lexington. A quick hair cut and then off to AAA for road maps. 

Cindy was a bit apprehensive to help me because I was a non automobile person. Once we had an understanding of my needs, and that I'm a card carrying member, she was more than helpful. 
I think the "light bulb" went off to the services AAA can provide to cyclist!

The first selected (guess) route turned out to be great, right through the heart of horse country. The estates are off the charts. Meticulous in every way. These equine have a great life. 

So the end of the day, people are just as nice, a bit more bewildered being off the TA, my belly is full, I'm showered and the tent is pitched. 
Look at me with no training wheels!  

2 comments:

  1. Southern CT AAA covers road side assistance for card members with cycling issues. 2 calls per year. Limit is 10 miles transport so probably not much help on your route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought up this feature on NE, the reaction was as you mentioned. A nice NE feature if you are just done riding and want a ride home 😳 shall I try?

    ReplyDelete

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...