Friday, July 10, 2015

Newton to Eureka - 76 miles Head wind!!

I  
A continuation on Newton Bike Shop. Had time to talk with James Barringer the owner. Very unique guy. 

Graduated from college in the 80's and wanted to ride his bike to his first "real" job on the west coast. He had hair down to his waist and was continually harassed by police and offered little help from locals and using gas station road maps.  One night a beetle got stuck in his rats nest and he decided to get a buzz cut. His life changed from that day forward. He now was getting assistance on the ride from locals, police were helpful .... His hair is still buzz cut to this day. 
James came to Newton where he was sent to live with grandmother due to getting in trouble at home. As a kid who developed the "bad kid" reputation in Newton as a teenager. His grandmother gave him some wise advice. You can spend all your time trying to fix your damaged reputation or move away and start over. James returned 20 years later and opened a bike shop. He has faced lots of resistance with his unique ideas. Took 2 plus years to get approval for a bike rack in front of the shop.

 He has created an active bike community as well an economic stimulus to the community. You sit in front of the shop and you'll see someone local riding by every 5 min. He'll repair any bike, Walmart, Huffy etc. Most bike stores will not touch these bikes. And the repair fees are very reasonable. The staff at the shop are friendly and knowledgeable. I didn't get a chance to meet his wife but she is active in the shop and I'm sure cut from the same cloth. 
James is trusting with a big heart. All guest get a key to his bike shop to come and go as they please. One guest needed bike shorts which he doesn't sell, he said, "take my van the Wichita to buy shorts at a bike shop!" Wow.

Did I mention I helped kick the keg last night. 

High speed TP dispenser. 

OMG - I had a sleep apnea sleeper in the  bunk room! A father son were tag teaming. The dad didn't say a word all day until night time. I lasted 20 min. with my ear buds in listening to ocean waves .... it didn't work. Slept in the bike repair area on my mattress and bag. I thought I was in bike heaven.

 I saw dad and son in the morning and they apologized. 
The good news is my string of nights on my air mattress now stands at 30. 

Today was different riding, dead on 17-20 mph for 50+ miles. Solo.  A true KS experience .... It gets better. A giant black cloud promising a big down pour. I thought of my Tuesday night buds. I full on sprint for the last 17 miles with the storm on my heals..... a real motivator. Made it to my destination with 5 min. to spare. Major down poor. 
For you Tom -


2 comments:

  1. That's Threadleaf Sneezeweed, Big Guy.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreux, finally caught up on your blog and I'm hooked! What a beautiful adventure.
    Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...