Friday, July 17, 2015

Goreville, MO to Sebree, KY 114 miles. Hot, hot and sticky

The town of Cave-In-Rock, IL embraces cyclist. 

Ferry ride across the Ohio River into KY. I felt like my Sat morning cycling buddies were going to appear at any minute. The lead up had the feel of Essex. No charge, state of IL picks up the tab. 

New state - 

13 miles into KY, I stop at a Mc'D's to have a light lunch and 12 Cokes to rehydrate. 
As I order my lunch, the lady behind me insist on buying me lunch. Mind you, this is the first person from KY after crossing the Ohio River I've talked to. I've heard the KY folks will be the nicest you'll meet on the ride. 
And so it continues. I hear about this church and inquire. I call Violet who gives me the tour of the church and I'm to help myself to whatever I need. When I inquire about the town's restaurants, Violet replying, "that's not how it works here. I'll go across the street and fix you dinner. Do you like corn on the cob?" I was sold! As I type this blog, my belly hurts from too much good food. 
Fresh corn bread, fried ham, etc. 
Modest kitchen. 

For you Tom. 

I never realized how much stuff trains move throughout the U.S.  Almost all the small townshave regular train traffic. 

Exciting day tomorrow. A couple, Ralph & Pam I met weeks ago offered to host me when I get close to their home in KY. Turns out the brother and sister, Brain & Britney I rode with for several weeks will be arriving from the Katy Trail also. A regular home coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...