Friday, June 12, 2015

Transition


Transition from coastal views to interior OR as I head East. Lots of climbing. First climb in the morning was about 5 miles. I arrived at Sand Lakes. Large area with white soft sand. Thus the name. Not what you expect at this elevation surrounded by large firs and cedars. Also a transition in fellow riders. Most folks I met are doing the west coast tour. No transAm encounters yet. I do hear about the 45 riders racing the same route. 

The lumber harvesting is most interesting. As they clear out old growth new trees are planted with dates posted. I'll assume well managed. It adds texture to the landscape.  Oh did I forget to mention double long logging trucks 😳




Unlike last nights camping on the ocean, I'm now at the Polk Fair Grounds, in Rickreall. Very large facilities with two campers including me. Looks very odd. Hot showers, yea.  


There have been tons of RV, both on the coast and inland with large RV camps. This must be a Mecca for RVs. Mona start planning your trip. 

80 miles today with lots more climbing. I guess just conditioning for the upcoming Cascade big boy climbs. 

Here's my modern Impression photo offering

Should have shared the first section map -
Heading to Colburg tonight. 

3 comments:

  1. Great reporting, Dreux, and pix. Keep 'em coming. We'll chat you up during this weekend's relatively piddly rides. --bw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great map. South. East. South. And then west?

    How will you ever make Greg Allman and Doobie Brothers this summer?

    ReplyDelete

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...