Saturday, June 13, 2015

More Trail Angels

More trail angels 

Packed up and on the road by 5:45 AM. The night before I went to bed and it was still day light! Pulled into Corvallis to meet the first angel. I met Jeff at an intersection and he could tell I wasn't sure where I was going. Jeff came right over to help. He was riding a touring bike so we sized up each other rig. Jeff has lots of long tours under his belt and he approved of my setup. Impressed with the light load.  Jeff was on his way to work but did not hesitate to review my route and BS'd for 15 min.  Advised of the tail wind on my route today and he was 100% correct. I also inquired about a bike shop and he road me to the shop. Thank you Corvallis bike for topping off my tires and fixed a squeaky cleat. 
The integration of bikes throughout OR is tops. I now know why they are the top state in the Union for biking. Everywhere you go there are 4 foot bike lanes. Folks don't hesitate to chat about cycling. More to follow on that topic. 

Okay so I signed up as a guest member. They filled my pannier with enough to get me to Colorado ..... dude. Which way was east again?


2 trail Angels in one day? Standing at the grocery store looking at my map, Walter comes right up to me, introduces himself and ask if he can be of help. I explain that I'm looking for a camp site. He tell me an official site is 30 plus miles and I already have 85. He explains that he is selling a river property lot and I'm welcome to use it. The pic speaks for the digs .... Perfect. Soaking tired legs in the McKenzie River drinking a local ipa. 

For you Tom 


On to the second map. Tomorrow will be exciting McKenzie pass. You'll have to wait for the pics. Several people were very excited for me, 25 mile climb but say it's worth the pain. Good news no cars allowed until Monday, bikes only!


Lava fields
Peter and Emily (guessed at the spelling)
We're so kind to hang with me on the climb up McKenzie pass. They could have passed me on their light weight road bikes. Real fun to share the pain on the way up. 
Thay are the real deal. We had lunch and we're heading back over the pass ..... I was toast and ready for a shower. 

These folks, Bob and Susan were doing the TransAm on a tandem recumbent!! Don't ask how much that rig weighted. Lots of excitement at summit with just cyclist there. 
The other gent did the TransAm last year. 

Off to find a camp site and hot shower! Maybe a well deserved beer. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dreux,
    Found your blog, yeay!. It was nice meeting you at McKenzie and hear about your adventures. Thank you for inspiring us to do more. Sending you good vibes for a fun and safe travel. And come back here so we can ride the pass at full speed (as opposed to lumbering speed ..lol) You have friends in Oregon.

    Peter (and Emily too)

    ReplyDelete

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...