Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Trail Angels again

Woke up to 42 degrees this morning. Really thought about staying in the sleeping bag a while and wait for the warm up. One the road by 6:15. Leaving the vast valley, I was treated to cattle moo'ing across the prairie to other cows. There were thousands of spread out over hundreds of acres. Really cool banter. I wonder what they chatting about?  

I was prepared to ride 48 miles without breakfast. The metropolis of Jackson (pop 50) does not have a grocery store and breakfast started at 9:00. I did have one banana and a candy bar. I only had 2 climbs 😖 you learn to deal with stuff on the trail.
 Trail angel arrives .... On the second climb, 32 miles I reach the pass and there is a tent set up. We're in the middle of no where. Adventure Cycling Assoc. is running a multi day Montana tour and this was a stop. Being a member ofACA they said help yourself. We're talking bananas, fresh pineapple, Mona- potato chips, m&m's etc. I ate and talked for the next 30 minutes. Delightful. 

Cyclist crack. Has it all  - salty, sweet, peanuts. 
Can we get these in CT?

Some adventure cyclist relaxing the prior night - 
David, Ryan and Steven all with different routes. 

Steve with his 115 lb rig, pannier are off the bike for the night. Note the solor collector and Gopro. 

This family gave me the scoop on the town Dillon. 

Second angel today! Realized 5 miles out of Dillon my bottom bracket cassette was loose or damaged. Did I mention no bike shop in town or anywhere around.  I recall speaking to the family in front of the library, an employee of the library who took interest in my ride. 3 hours latter I found her in the library. Thank goodness for small towns. She connected me with Cathy who does lots of riding and is known in town. Off to her house and barn with all kind of tools. What a great person, I know she was busy but insisted on helping and she knew her stuff. 
After 2 hours we realized we needed the proper tools and Rube Goldberg would not prevail.


She took my number and within 20 minutes she connected me with her friend who is going to Butte, MT to get her bike serviced tomorrow.  Did I mention it's a 2 hour car ride. 
Ilene is picking me up at the camp site at 8:00 am for the ride to Butte. Cathy then calls the bike shop and explain my woes and they will be ready for me with parts. Wow. 

I pull into the camp site and all my buddies from last night are there. Setting up camp. 

For you Tom -


2 comments:

  1. What? Wheat? FLOWERS please. And stop for a rodeo. Spend a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just enjoy the dam grass. Lots of rodeos, I'm hoping my timing works out for the 4th to see a rodeo. Almost went to a Pow Wow on an Indian reservation.

      Delete

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...