Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Big Splurge

As I created my packing list, most items selected will have to serve two functions to make the list. Weight and space is always a major concern while bike touring. Last week the decision was made to splurge on one luxury item for the trip  ...... a travel pillow. At the size of a small potato and weighing in at 2.4 oz I was willing to carry my new comfort item 4300 + miles. 

The selection was not easy. Mona waited patiently at the REI store while I blew up and tried 3 different pillows. Not too soft, not too hard but just right. I don't think she fully appreciated what a big decision was being made for this luxury item. While all 3 were close in weight and size, how did they feel? After 10 minutes of testing, I pulled the trigger on the Cocoon Hype-light. Mona would have selected the pillow based on style, color and how do I look on the pillow .....  I went with comfort. 

Let's hope for no leaks and lots of comfort. 

Next week the bike and equipment will be packed and shipped to Oregon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...