Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Where do these ideas come from?

So the idea of bicycling riding across country has been rattling around in my head for a very long time. I think it first started sometime in high school. I've always thought about it through the years, but never acted on it. Lot of crazy thoughts bouncing around in there.

In the last several weeks, the stars seemed to have lining up. As I transition from my current work position, the correct time of the year to do the ride and the blessing and generosity from Ramona left no excuses. Now putting the thoughts into action.

The planning seems daunting .......... lots of unknowns. First is timing. When to leave and which direction? I'm looking forward to my niece's wedding so I'll not be leaving before John and Lisa's wedding. This means the date will likely be June 10th. As for the direction, I've decided on West to East. Lots of folks justify heading West as the early settlers did, but I'm more attracted to heading the bike in the direction of home. Then comes the decision of which route?

The ride will be starting in Astoria, OR and I'll be following the Transamerica Trail. Lots of history on this trail as it relates to bicycling - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikecentennial

Lots of options on the style of touring ...... group riding, organized riding, credit card riding. I've elected to do a solo, self supporting ride. This means carrying all your essentials on the bike. Shelter, sleeping clothing, tools etc. For purposes of weight and space, I'll be passing on the cookware provisions. Mostly camping and relying on stores and restaurants for food and drink.

Why solo? It's not that easy to find someone who can just pick up and go  ride a bike for this long a period. Besides, I've been told a long distance riding partner is like entering into a marriage ..... you find out lots of new thing about your partner after the honeymoon! The good news there are lots of people from all over the world riding these established trails and a good chance of meeting up with someone for periods at a time.

Please don't grow accustomed to my semi coherent blogs ... when on the road I'll be using my iPhone for blogging. At least there should be some good pictures.

Okay, back to making list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...