Sunday, April 26, 2015

Turning my Steed Into a Touring Mule

I've had my Surly for a while using it as a gravel grinder. A great bike for dirt road riding. The Surly Cross Check is known as a "do all" bicycle. Now the change over to a touring machine.



The Cross Check will need to carry all my equipment, safety and most importantly be reliable. 


The wheels and tires are ideal for long distance touring. Heavy duty cyclocross rims with Schwable Marathon tires ... Nice and wide - 700 x 35c. I'll be putting on a new set of tires which should last 4k plus miles. 
Added a Tubus rack to hold the Ortlieb panniers. Nice big handlebar bar for easy access to everyday items. Safety items include front/rear lights and rear view mirror.  The Brooks, B17 is a leather seat that is well broken in and a proven seat for long distance travel. Lastly the fenders were added to keep the rain away. 
Next post I'll list out the items that I'll be carrying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Ride Thoughts

Mindset for the trip - Whether a good day or a sucky day ...... you are riding a bicycle! I kept this thought throughout the trip and shared...